Who We Are - T.J. Klune These three make my heart happy. They’re just precious and sweet and loving and perfect. Bear, Otter and the Kid have just moved into their new house and Ty is getting ready to skip over fourth grade and head right into fifth. They’re trying to figure out their new family dynamic and how to make it work together. All while Bear is battling the courts for full custody of the Kid.

Bear
I love his voice in these books. I love his quirky way of thinking about things and how he comes to his very dramatic conclusions. His coming out speech to Otter’s family was priceless. He has these deep thoughts about how to do and say things properly, and then stuff just spews out of his mouth. Completely inappropriate stuff. He does this at the best of moments, like when Otter's whole family is there (and his ex-girlfriend's family) while having a nice dinner, he tells them, Hey! Your gay son and I are doing it! Like I said, priceless. He was able to accept his sexuality and finally realized that he’s not just “Gay for Otter” but gay. He catches himself checking out other men and then was super-shocked when he actually responded to them. That's right Bear, your dick doesn't discriminate.

Bear took us through his past with the bi- er, his mom and how, even before she left, that he knew it would just be him and the Kid. They would be together and work through the quakes together and nobody would be able to take that away from them.

”I had been named, and I was Bear.
Tyson had been named, and he was the Kid.
Looking back now, I can see that was the beginning.”

Otter
Oh, Otter. Is there a more perfect male specimen? I think not. The way he accepts Bear and the Kid as his own was just... *sigh*. There’s no question of whether he’s going to be there or not. He will. Always. And he’ll take forever to prove that to Bear if he has to. He’s willing to let Bear explore his newfound sexuality if need be. But then he was honest with himself (and Bear) about this revelation and got all growly and alpha. What can I say? I like a growly Otter. It was hot.

The Kid
Ty is the life of these books. Of course, he’s too smart for his own good and it’s easy to forget that he’s only 9. But then he does things like sleep in the bathtub when Bear and Otter are away and then you’re reminded of his innocence. This kid has been through too much to be a normal 9 year old, but finds friendship with their new neighbor Dominic. Dominic is 15 and is in the foster care system. He’s withdrawn and awkward. Ty is the only one who can make him speak, let alone smile. Ty was just awesome, my favorite 9 year-old, vegetarian, eco-terrorist in training.

"Well, then, Otter, of course I don’t like Bundt cake. It has eggs in it. Baby chicken eggs. You don’t see chickens standing outside of maternity wards waiting to get our babies to make their Bundt cake, do you?”

Who We Are was funny and heartwarming. It was about family, not your blood family, but the family you choose. Yes, this was Bear, Otter and the Kid's story but there were so many important people in their life. Ms. Paquinn, Creed and Anna were essential in their survival and becoming a family. Bear and the Kid might have survived what they went though on their own but, as Bear said, they wouldn’t really be living.

“Wait till it’s my turn to tell the story! They’ll be like ‘Bear who?”

Does this mean we get the Kid’s story? Can we? Can we?