Mexican Heat - Josh Lanyon, Laura Baumbach Well, I certainly wasn’t expecting this. The action, sexiness, and egos I was expecting. The tender and heartfelt moments bringing me to tears? Not so much.

Gabriel is an undercover cop and is “working” for West Coast crime boss Ricco Botelli. Botelli is working a business merger with another crime boss, Don Jesus Sanchez. Botelli is doing this by, basically, selling off his sister to marry him. Gabriel is visiting one of their clubs one night while working (for the good guys) and meets Tall, Dark and Arrogant, aka Miguel. He and Miguel hit it off instantly, and by hit it off I mean they have sex on Miguel’s desk. After their one night stand, Gabriel finds out that Miguel works for none other than Don Jesus Sanchez. Oops.

Gabriel has been without any family for quite some time and is used to his occasional one night stand. So when he meets Miguel and finds himself wanting more he instantly puts up his walls. How could he have more with his profession? Especially, with someone he is trying to put behind bars? It was great fun to see Miguel slowly but surely break down those walls Gabriel had built. Miguel is absolutely Mr. Tall, Dark and Arrogant, but he is also sweet and tender. I loved his instant attraction and protectiveness of Gabriel. The way he took care of Gabriel was just... *sigh*. Not to mention the Spanish. Oh, the Spanish was just delicious. At one point, I wasn’t sure how this would all work out given their opposing lines of work, but I was delighted when I got to Part 2 and the story continued from Miguel’s POV and we had a little more insight into his character.

This story was much more than I had anticipated. It was action packed and had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, and not just from the suspense storyline but for the romance as well.