Gunmetal Magic -  Ilona Andrews Let me start by saying Ilona Andrews’ world building rocks my sock off. There are so many things happening in this world. Always a new creature or beast. Always a fresh and original plot. Love this world. Love these characters.

We start with Andrea investigating a multiple homicide in a building that is owned by her ex-boyfriend, Raphael. This inevitably pushes these two together when they have been avoiding each other for months. Avoiding each other while still in love. Why? Pride, of course. The investigation leads them to a group of “people” who are worship the god, Apep. I say “people” because they have snakelike jaws with fangs that are venomous. I couldn’t help by hear Indiana Jones saying, “Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?” Andrea and Raphael have to battle these snake people, gods, and any number of weird creatures that live in this crazy ass version of Atlanta. It was fantastic fun.

Ugh. Raphael and Andrea. When Raphael first sees Andrea again in her office he brings with him his new “fiancé” in her office. If that’s not a slap in the face, I don’t know what is. Raphael’s behavior in the beginning of the book was pretty much appalling. He was completely unforgiving and rude to the woman he is supposed to love. They have been estranged, but still, if you love her don’t be such a selfish prideful jerk! Don’t get me wrong, Andrea had some selfish prideful jerkish moments herself, too. But once they got over their mutual jerkiness I really enjoyed their relationship. We saw a different side to Andrea, she decided to completely embrace her beastkin side. And by embrace I mean walk around looking like beastkin, naked.

This had potential to be a 5 star read for me if Andrea and Raphael weren’t so mean to each other for a good portion of the book. I love some good banter between an H/h, but at times it wasn’t banter, it was just mean. Still, a great addition to the series. As always, Ilona Andrews did not disappoint!